Monday, April 20, 2009

I heart beets!

You guys, I just made a really yummy dinner. I had a bit of a challenge on my hands tonight. It is crazy hot in the bay area right now and I had a huge bunch of beets to cook. I love beets, but I usually roast them and that is totally not an option in our tiny apartment in this heat. I decided to google some instructions for other cooking methods and make a beet salad for dinner tonight. I am thrilled with the results.

6 small beets with attached greens (10 oz without the stems/greens)
3 tangelos
1 green garlic sprig minced
1 TBSP olive oil
salt and pepper to taste

Start a pot of boiling water.

Wash the beets and trim the beets about 1 inch above the bulb. Place the beets in a microwave safe container with a small amount of water. Microwave the beets for just under 1 minute per ounce of beets.

Separate the stems from the leaves. Chop both into bit sized pieces. When the water on the stove comes to a boil, add the stems and let them cook for about 2 minutes. Add the leaves and cook them for about 2 minutes (until tender). Drain the stems and greens and submerge them into a large bowl of ice water.

When the beets in the microwave are finished, dunk them into ice water to stop the cooking process. Once the beets are cool, you can remove the skins with your hands or a pairing knife. (I didn't remove the skins because I was a little lazy and I don't mind the skins.) Slice the beets into rounds.

Combine the stems, leaves and beet slices in a large bowl. Peel one of the tangelos and separate it into segments. Roughly chop the segments. Add the tangelo segments and minced green garlic to beets and greens.

Juice the remaining 2 tangelos into a bowl, whisk in the olive oil and season with salt and pepper. Add this mixture to the beets and tangelos. Toss to combine. Let the mixture sit for at least a half an hour to combine flavors and enjoy.

No comments:

Post a Comment